The role of the bosun can vary more noticeably between motor and sail but as a rule the bosun would be expected to help Manage deck crew with the first mate but report separately to the first mate.
To be able to work efficiently and safely the bosun must be able to manage and maintain inventories and spares for routine and preventative maintenance on tenders and water toys. In the case of sailing yachts the role also encompasses maintaining the standing and running rigging maintenance, rotation and service of all deck equipment and hardware.
While reporting to the engineer and Mate they may also be required to assist deck crew with day to day running of deck and guest care and service including tender driver.
- Manage deck crew
- Manage and maintain inventories and spares for routine and preventative maintenance
- Maintain standing and running rigging maintenance and rotation
- Service of all deck equipment and hardware
- Manteca and service of tenders and water toys (guided by Engineer)
- Assist deck crew with day to day running of deck and guest care and service
- Tender driver
- MCA Yacht Rating Certificate
- RYA Power Boat level 2 or IYT Tender Driver Licence
- GMDSS VHF/SRC Radio Operators Certificate
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or IYT Master of Yachts <200gt
- MCA STCW Master (Yachts) <200gt or STCW OOW (Yachts) Certification
- MCA STCW Basic Safety Certificates