The first mate is the Captain’s First point of contact and right hand. This is a huge role onboard and requires commitment and professionalism after all the first mate is second in command!
As #2 it is key to assist and complete understanding of all passage planning decisions and avoidance and action plans in the case of the captain being unable to fulfill his role.
Day to day the First mate is expected to manage departments depending on delegated responsibility and be the ‘go to’ person to help resolve problems,
Usually the Mate would manage contractors and deck crew and make sure the crew are conducting themselves in a role that would not reflect badly on the yacht or owner.
During yard period and standby the role would be to assist and follow all yard and survey schedules and make sure standards are maintained this includes Maintaining ISM, Mini ISM not least all safety drills.
For a rough guide to salary expectations Click Here
- Captain’s First point of contact and right hand, second in command
- Assist and complete understanding of all passage planning
- Manage departments depending on delegated responsibility
- Manage contractors and deck crew
- Assist and follow all yard and survey schedules
- Maintain ISM, Mini ISM including all safety drills
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore